• This forum is currently in Read-Only mode and will not accept new threads, posts or responses.

To Sign Up for the New Forum, click here: https://www.cco.us/cco-forum/

Q&A Advice on getting first job

lauriej

I need some advice on getting that first job. I recently passed my CPC (thanks for the Blitz videos!!-passed on the first try) I have experience in the medical field as an x-ray tech, have been an office manager for a family practice office and a chief tech, and have entered charges to the billing company using ICD-9 and CPT codes for many years. I have applied to every job opening in my area and have sent out some offers to do unpaid internships. What else should I be doing?

Lori Woods

Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
CCO Practicoder
PBB Student (CPB™)
ICD-9 Student
PBMA Student (CPMA®)
ICD-10-PCS Student
HCC Student
Wow it seems like you should have no trouble getting a job so it's disheartening to hear that even an unpaid internship won't even spark any interest with your background & certification :( I hope an opportunity comes your way soon! Have you tried networking through the local AAPC Chapter meetings?

Lori Woods

Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
CCO Practicoder
PBB Student (CPB™)
ICD-9 Student
PBMA Student (CPMA®)
ICD-10-PCS Student
HCC Student
Well it's disheartening to hear with your background & certification & offer of free internship won't even help :( Good luck hopefully an opportunity will come your way soon!

Carolyn Heath

Blitzer
CCO Club Member
CCO Practicoder
That is bad that you got the experience that employers are looking for and still cannot find a position. We are all in the same boat--new coders trying to get the experience and coders who are experience. An opportunity will come your way when you find the right employer who will hire you--experience or not. Just keep on looking for that position.

Alicia Scott

Moderator, CCO Instructor
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
Don't fret over this because it often takes several interviews. If you have all of the qualifications then change your focus to you. Make sure you are dressing the part. Walk in with confidence. Check into the company you are applying to. Something simple that many forget to do....ask for the job. Tell them you want to work for them and why. Smile!!!! and stay very positive in the interview.

Carolyn Heath

Blitzer
CCO Club Member
CCO Practicoder
I also do research on the company to know more about them and what they do.

Alicia Scott

Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
I think that is a really overlooked point in applying for a job. They want to know you are aware of what they do. That you took enough time to investigate. This simple step moves you way up on the list very fast.

lauriej

Thanks so much for all the advice! Most of the openings around here (and there do seem to be plenty) are in hospitals, so I think I should be looking to get that next certification as well. Would you guys recommend the CPC-H or the CCS?

Alicia Scott

Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
The CPC-H is for out patient surgeries and such. Most hospitals have a huge department for this. It also makes you valuable to surgery centers which are growing like crazy.

The CCS is very valuable if you are wanting to do In patient coding. If In patient is what you are interested in that is usually a higher pay rate but you need at least 2 years of experience in coding usually to get into one of these positions. That doesn't mean you can't get in. There is an increased need I think for in patient coders. With ICD-10 coming I suspect they will increase staff to make up for time on the learning curve. Plus a lot of established coders are thinking of retiring.

You see coders don't leave. It is a great job that allows you to sit down and use your brain.

Carolyn Heath

Blitzer
CCO Club Member
CCO Practicoder
Will there be a need for coders with the CPC or CCS-P credential when ICD-10 rolls around? Isn't the CCS-P a specialty of CCS? Thanks!

Alicia Scott

Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
The CCS-P is equivalent to the CPC. The P for the CCS stands for Physicians. The best way to find out though is to go to the www.AHIMA.com
Laureen has been certified with AHIMA in the past. She had the CCS but not sure if she had the CCS-P

I am a member of both AHIMA and AAPC. I just recently recertified as an RHIA (Registered Health Information Administrator). My plans are to obtain both the CCS and the CPC-H. I'm interested in auditing also so I may try for that credential later on. I could get a job as a coder as an RHIA. However, I want to be more marketable in the coding workplace. Since I have become a coding "junkie", I don't think that will be hard for me to do. It's not going to be easy finding a job but you've just got to keep pounding the pavement. (That's the advice I'm giving myself also.) The jobs are out there and there are some with our names on them.

Alicia Scott

Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
So glad you are also a coding junkie.
Another tip: Get connected on Linkedin and Twitter

Carolyn Heath

Blitzer
CCO Club Member
CCO Practicoder
When you get connected on LinkedIn, join some of the medical coding groups. Some of the coders may want to connect with you. Also, Facebook has some medical coding groups. You may want to join some of them, too.

Carolyn Heath

Blitzer
CCO Club Member
CCO Practicoder
Mary, have you checked out Medical Coders Talk on Facebook? You are welcome to join.